Position: Orthopedic Technologist
File #: 2021-23656
Department: Fracture Clinic
Site: Credit Valley Hospital
Posted: October 14, 2021
Internal Deadline: October 21, 2021
*The Location of any vacancy/position may be changed or reassigned as per operational needs
- As an active member of a high functioning interdisciplinary team, the Orthopaedic Technologist provides client-centred clinical care to support the delivery of the service for orthopaedic patients in the Fracture Clinic/Hospital
- Carries out responsibilities and assists in the care of patients in clinic, in-patient units and the O.R. Functions under the direction of the Orthopaedic Surgeon. Works with the health care team in providing a safe environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others. Works within the current policies and guidelines of the hospital.
- Current registration by the Canadian Society of Orthopaedic Technologists (CSOT)
- Graduate of a recognized Orthopaedic Technologist Programme sanctioned by the CSOT, apprenticeship programme, and sponsorship by an Orthopaedic Physician
- Minimum 3 years of work experience working directly in the care of orthopaedic patients
- Knowledge of and experience with Orthopaedic conditions/injuries and casting including related orthopaedic technologies
- Knowledge of theory and application of skin, skeletal and manual traction
- Demonstrated continuing education (as per registration requirement)
- Certified Bracing Technician is an asset
- Nursing/Medical background is an asset
- Plastics Clinic experience is an asset
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills required
- Demonstrated superior customer service skills required
- Energetic, highly motivated, detail oriented individual with strong work ethic
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills
- Positive attendance and work record essential
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proficient in the application of casting and orthopaedic technologies
- Responsibilities include applying, trimming, bi-valving, windowing and removing casts; applying and removing bandages and splints; assisting physicians with traction and casts in the Operating Room, on units and in the Emergency Department; assisting units with traction if required
- Expert knowledge and application of aseptic technique in dressing change, removal of sutures, staples, pins and external fixators, setting up surgical field for injections and minor procedures
- Provides education related to orthopaedic treatments and follow-up care to patients and families
- Participates in the supervision and training of Orthopaedic Technicians and students
- Performs work assignments under the direction of an orthopaedic surgeon and follows hospital and nursing policies. Works within scope of practice.
- Maintains an adequate supply of all equipment and supplies used in clinic.
- Ensures equipment and supplies are in safe working order, and reports need for repair and replacement.
- Follows hospital guidelines and standards for documentation including incident reporting.
- Provides education to patients and families (eg cast care, brace and appliance application, wound care, osteoporosis, injections, crutch use, pre-op preparation)
- Maintains CSOT registration and competence by attending in-services, workshops, conferences, physicians’ rounds etc.
- Ensures economical use of supplies. Follows clinic finance guidelines.
- Observes the work area, equipment and supplies for hazardous conditions and infection prevention and control
- Performs other duties as assigned and required.
Internal Candidates who believe they possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position and who have been in their current position for at least six (6) months are encouraged to apply.
To pursue this career opportunity, please visit our website: www.trilliumhealthpartners.ca
Trillium Health Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Trillium Health Partners will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Trillium Health Partners is identified under the French Language Services Act.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.