Position: Manager, Philanthropy
Status: Permanent Full Time
Reports To: Director, Philanthropy
Department: Trillium Health Partners Foundation
Posted Date: January 24, 2023 – February 14, 2023
At Trillium Health Partners Foundation (THPF) our vision is bold: build a new kind of health care for a healthier community. Our work supports Trillium Health Partners (THP), comprised of Credit Valley Hospital, Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre and one of the largest community-based, academically affiliated acute care facilities in Canada serving one of the fastest growing populations in the country. A teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto, THP serves Mississauga, West Toronto and the surrounding communities and last year alone received over 1.7 million patient visits. Throughout all of this, the ongoing pandemic has made clear what we as a Foundation always knew: without health care, we have nothing.
That’s why we need you, to ensure our community has access to the exceptional, compassionate and leading-edge care we are known for, today and for generations to come. Our 40+ member team is comprised of exceptional talent, with diverse backgrounds and expertise dedicated to raising the crucial funds needed to address the highest priority needs of THP. Our leadership is well-connected and respected in the non-profit sector, too. Our CEO, Caroline Riseboro was the recipient of Canada’s Most Admired™ CEO award and won the 2022 Association of Fundraising Professionals’ (AFP) Outstanding Fundraising Professional award, which in part is a testament to the collaboration and hard work of our organization.
Together, we are already making a massive impact – and having a ton of fun while doing it. In fact, because of our amazing Team, we recently secured the largest donation to a hospital in Canada, from renowned philanthropist Peter Gilgan and The Peter Gilgan Foundation. This record-breaking $105 million donation will help us build the largest hospital in Canada…but we need your help to get there.
Are you motivated by the opportunity to be part of a movement to create a new kind of health care? Are you eager to contribute and learn from a dynamic team while contributing to this great community? If so, read on to learn more about this opportunity!
We are seeking a Manager, Philanthropy to contribute to significant growth in our Philanthropy (major gifts) portfolio and assume a lead role in raising critical funds as part of our comprehensive campaign for Trillium Health Partners. Reporting to the Director, Philanthropy the Manager will play an integral role in the achievement of the Foundation’s campaign goals, by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of major gift prospects and senior level volunteers, including physicians and cabinet members.
The Manager will be part of a high performing and successful seventeen member philanthropy team that works collaboratively with colleagues and hospital partners to inspire investment in a new kind of healthcare for a healthier community.
With a high level of energy, enthusiasm and the eagerness to contribute to what we want to build, the Manager, Philanthropy will be self-motivated and driven to succeed with excellent problem solving skills. Passionately excited by our mission to inspire investment in a new kind of healthcare for a healthier community, the successful candidate will possess a deep commitment to build donor centric relationships with sensitivity and professionalism.
The Manager will focus on long term and sustainable revenue generation where relationship building and project management is a key driver. The ideal candidate will be an experienced fundraising professional with proven success in closing major gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations at six figure gift levels. The new incumbent will also have experience working with senior level volunteers and encourage philanthropic commitment from our campaign cabinet and physicians by engaging and building relationships of trust and accountability.
Supportive and respectful, the successful candidate will be a solutions-oriented team player with the ability to operate in the “grey” and collaboratively work with team members toward a common objective. With a one-team mentality, the Manager will value learning from others and sharing knowledge with colleagues to assure the success of our team and the growth of our organization. As a leader with one direct report the ability to coach and mentor are key and required strengths.
- Personally develop and manage a portfolio of at least 75 donors and prospective major gift donors ($25,000 +) in various stages of prospecting, cultivation, solicitation & stewardship.
- Pipeline includes physician referrals (Honour a Health Care Champion Program), campaign cabinet member referrals, individuals, corporations and foundations
- Support leadership with strategy & project proposal development for prospects who have the capacity to give $500,000 or greater
- Develop donor pitch decks and proposal (writing) for donors under up to the $1 million level
- Support the preparation of compelling and strategic fundraising materials including, but not limited to, briefing notes, proposals, letters, presentation decks, speaking notes
- Manage Campaign Cabinet members and physician champions with strategy, briefing notes, prospecting, administration and follow up to ensure campaign cabinet members and their connections have a positive philanthropic experience.
- In partnership with the Director, the manager will be responsible to for implementation of the Honour a Health Care Champion (HHCC) Referral Program with current hospital champions and be the foundation lead for multiple clinical areas.
- Work collaboratively & cross-functionally with the THPF team to ensure a seamless and donor-centred experience for the HHCC stakeholders including donors and hospital champions and the annual Honour a Healthcare Champion team
- In partnership with the donor experience team, provide ongoing stewardship and high touch experiences to our major donors, with a focus on reporting and donor retention.
- In partnership with the annual giving team, project lead the matching gift program for the philanthropy portfolio
- Project manage in collaboration with the marketing team gift announcements in the $1Million - $4,999,999 range
- Assist in the development, tracking & execution of the year-round philanthropy operational plan and budget to meet revenue goals
- Maintain donor and prospect records including: entering and maintaining solicitation and donor information, call reports, proposals & referral tracking
- Develop strategic touch points for donors to inform them of initiatives that align with their giving such as research and clinical breakthroughs, events, and webinars
- Identify ways to recognize and steward donors for their contributions, including thank you calls and written communications
- Work with clinicians and program writer to develop and present proposals that enable the donor to make informed decisions regarding their support
- Continuously communicate with clinicians to learn more about their research and funding priorities and opportunities
- Develop a strong relationship with cabinet members and clinicians to identify new prospects and provide stewardship updates for existing donors
- Schedule and actively participate in meetings between clinicians and prospects or current donors
- Act as a project manager manage with hospital leaders, including the research and innovation team to gain the necessary information needed for pitch decks, proposals and stewardship reports
- Act as a champion and role model in support of the Foundation’s mission. Reinforce a professional and customer service oriented culture that supports community engagement and provides the team with a work environment that is challenging and rewarding
- Actively coach and mentor colleagues & staff, including physicians through the HHCC referral program
- Work collaboratively with other Foundation departments and model a Foundation First mindset
- Lead by example to build excitement and accountability with teams members to emulate similar behaviour
- Manage 1 team member; Coordinator, philanthropy
- Demonstrate proficiency for computer and internet technology including Microsoft Office, PowerPoint/efficiency building and editing deck and Raiser’s Edge (Prospect Management Module) Fundraising Software.
Compliance to Standards:
- With the Vice President of Finance, ensure that Trillium Health Partners Foundation meets or exceeds all legal, financial, professional and internally established requirements including provincial and federal regulatory agencies. Abide by the ethical standards established by membership in national and international fundraising associations.
- Over 5 years proven track record of cultivating & soliciting Major Gifts and working with senior level volunteers.
- Previous experience in healthcare philanthropy, or related areas would be an asset, as would previous management or team-lead experience.
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve ambitious fundraising goals.
- Previous successful campaign and hospital experience would be an asset.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual donors, corporations and other funding agencies in order to develop mutually beneficial relationships with the Hospital and Foundation.
- Interest in all aspects of health and a dedication to promoting Trillium Health Partners’ fundraising priorities by helping to create excellent working relationships with medical staff, senior administrative leaders, volunteers and other Foundation staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work within a senior management team to successfully multi-task and manage complex and diverse projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with donors, volunteers, and the THP team.
- Personal presentation and approach to ensure the highest level of professional representation of the Foundation at all times.
- Facility with donor management systems, in particular Raiser’s Edge.
- University or other post-secondary education is preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation an asset.
- Flexible work environment
- This position requires travel and a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle are required.
- For further information about Trillium Health Partners Foundation we invite you to visit our website at www.trilliumgiving.ca.
- We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Notes to applicants:
If you do not see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed on this posting, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. Research has shown candidates from underrepresented groups often only apply when they feel 100% qualified. We encourage applicants who are members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the Ontario Human Rights Code to consider this opportunity.
Trillium Health Partners Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy, safe and respectful environment for healing, based on our values compassion, excellence and courage. To be Better Together, we commit to fostering a respectful workplace culture that promotes a safe and supportive environment for everyone.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Trillium Health Partners Foundation will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.