Position: Unit Coordination Assistant
File #: 2023-32138
Status: Part Time
Dept: 6J Oncology - Inpatient Medicine
Site: Mississauga Hospital
Posted: March 16, 2023
Internal Deadline: march 23, 2023
Trillium Health Partners (THP) is one of the largest community-based acute care facilities in Canada. Comprised of the Credit Valley Hospital, the Mississauga Hospital and the Queensway Health Centre, Trillium Health Partners serves the growing and diverse populations of Mississauga, West Toronto and surrounding communities and is a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto.
Our Mission: A New Kind of Health Care for a Healthier Community
When we set out to build our vision and future, we connected with our community - patients, families, visitors, physicians, staff and volunteers. The foundational goals of our new strategic plan - quality, access and sustainability - anchor everything we do. Our mission for a new kind of health care is built on an inter-connected system of care organized around patients - inside and outside the hospital.
At THP, we are relentless in providing high quality, compassionate care to our communities and take great pride in fostering an inclusive and accessible environment and we are all accountable for contributing to a healthy, safe and respectful environment for healing and promoting excellence in patient care though advancing patient and staff safety. If you are passionate about what you do, motivated to improve the health of the community, committed to excellence, quality and patient safety we would like you to join our Better Together team!
The (Inpatient) Unit Coordination Assistant (UCA) provides clerical support for patient adminstrative services; information management; unit reception; ensures the clerical administration and operation of the unit; and performs other duties consistent with the job classification as required.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Patient Administrative Services
• Liaises with internal departments and external healthcare facilities to book/cancel tests, appointments, internal patient transfer, external patient transport/escort, etc, as required.
• Transcribes and enters physician orders including medication, lab and imaging orders into appropriate system.
• Enters data including appointment requests, menu/diet requests, patient transfer and discharge documentation.
• Notifies appropriate personnel of patient movement, test results, appointments and other patient information in a timely and accurate manner.
• Prepares and updates patient charts with lab reports, test results and other pertinent information. Scans and copies chart, pharmacy orders and other information as required.
• Ensures patient charts are sent to Health Records with all accurate and required patient information.
• Updates WHIMS/MDS binders/information sheets as required.
• Greets visitors and staff, directing them to appropriate personnel and/or destination/room providing assistance as required.
• Greets and admits patients to the unit. May also perform unit patient registration function, confirming/validating patient demographic, insurance (including OHIP) and other required information as appropriate.
• Explains hospital policy and procedures to patients, visitors and staff as necessary (including infection prevention and control).
• Answers the telephone and/or intercom, responding to enquiries within scope of authority, or, directing to most appropriate person.
• Takes, prioritizes and relays messages for unit staff and/or patients. Locates unit staff, pages healthcare professionals as required.
• Open, sort and distribute incoming mail and other materials.
Ensures efficient clerical administration and operation of the unit within scope of authority
• Enters and maintains payroll records (include sick and vacation requests).
• Assists with sick replacement and vacation back fill as required.
• Updates department "fan-out" list as required.
• Requisitions and maintains office/medical supplies; counts and labels inventory as required. May be required to stock unit carts and/or supply areas.
• Ensures equipment and furniture are operational. Prepares work order requests for preventative and restorative maintenance/repair as required.
• Contacts environmental services for cleaning of equipment and/or unit as required.
• Processes routine financial transactions including unit supply/inventory purchase and charges for services/items not covered by patient's healthcare plan.
• Reviews and reconciles invoices.
• Compiles statistical data to generate and prepare standardized reports on a monthly basis.
• Satisfactory performance and attendance required.
Performs cross-functional, and/or, other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
Works in compliance of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations, reporting hazards, deficiencies and contravention’s of the Act, in a timely manner.
• Completion of high school or recognized equivalent is required.
• Completion of a Medical Terminology course is required.
Internal Candidates who believe they possess the necessary qualifications and experience for this position and who have been in their current position for at least six (6) months are encouraged to apply.
To pursue this career opportunity, please visit our website: www.trilliumhealthpartners.ca
Trillium Health Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment.
Trillium Health Partners is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a healthy, safe and respectful environment for healing, based on our values compassion, excellence and courage. To be Better Together, we commit to fostering a respectful workplace culture that promotes a safe and supportive environment for everyone who provides care, supports caregiving, receives care or visits the hospital.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Trillium Health Partners will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Trillium Health Partners is identified under the French Language Services Act.
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.